Thursday 2 July 2009

Skegness

Between Latvia and this date, we had a few days off. The weather being excellent, Wimbledon Tennis Tournament being a little boring to keep me indoors, I decided to go bike riding.
On the first day I covered about 15 miles around the Swansea area and felt great about it. The second day I took a slightly different route to vary things up a little.
Along Swansea seafront the council built a small obstacle course along the cycle tracks. These consist of small ramps and other log-like structures that make a mundane bike ride somewhat more fun. I figured, I am not over the hill and could still tackle them, which I did to awesome effect if I do say so myself. All except the last one.
What i thought was a ramp was nothing of the kind. I'll describe it as a 2 meter semi circle protruding out of the ground at a 45 degree angle. I think you're meant to attack it at one end, riding around it coming down the other. But I decided to go straight at it attempting to go over the top. I did go over the top though, over the top of the fucking handlebars! With a "whack!!!" I landed on my back with the bike shortly to follow. Parts of the bike broke off, my knee took a whack from it and blood started to poor from it and yet I was up like a shot more concerned about if I was seen or not by anyone passing by. I don't think I did and so I set about putting the bike back in a usable state, throwing the broken pieces away and continuing on my journey home with bloody still gushing from my knee. It would eventually stop and turn into a large bruise but nothing like the bruise on my ego.

- a stupid twat falling of his bike.






So onto the gig at Skegness, or should I say Skeg-mess? Its actually quite a nice seaside town, as far as seaside towns are reckoned. I wouldn't nominate it for a city of culture award personally. Not unless it was considered culture to "to don blue rinse hairstyles, forego the act of random games of bingo, slot machines and the partaking less than standard thrill rides" and this isn't even mentioning the general scum that vacate town such like during the summer season. Dog-like skepticism aside, the weather was lovely and the scene was set for another day on the tour.
-A Viz Poster about Skegness.














I've naturally cut to the chase about this gig and not bored you all (least not myself) about the hours and hours of road getting up here. Suffice as to say, it went without incident.
This theatre i have done on at least 2 other occasions with The Circus Of Horrors. It was larger than I remembered and it dawned as i looked out from the stage on me that this actually means that's more seats that are going to be empty tonight. After build up and a quick sound check with only a few of the cast (as others were still to arrive) it was off to lunch.
Stuart, the ex soundman for the show, came with us. He's here on this date because he's taking Katie back to Birmingham after the show, or something. Maybe he's here for the crack. The "crack" probably being more to gripe about Jarvis' mixing if the last time he came to the show was anything to go by. Hell hath no fury like a soundman scourned!!!
To my surprise we had people in. It wasn't sold out, I don't think it was even half sold but we had about 250 which made for a decent gig and good response.
After the show, I pulled the kit down and got the fuck outta dodge. I was rather ill on the way back to the hotel, but I'll not say why!
We had a light discussion about bridges and more specifically, which one was the longest in Britain. Oh hold on to your seats folks, it doesn't get better than this! Clive said the Humber, I said the Second Severn crossing. Despite The Second Severn Crossing being over 5,000 meters the Humber being 2,200 meters in total length, according to the internet The Humber IS the largest... Yeah that's what I thought, go figure! I guess this is measured from anchor post to anchor post.. or something as I don't know. I made the fatal mistake of telling him this fact. Oh boy did he enjoy it...
 - a bridge, not the longest and certainly NOT the Humber bridge.



- The Humber Birdge in all its glory! Ah, let's all bask in it's magnificence. ARE YOU READING THIS CLIVE YOU BASTARD!!!!


After what seemed like hours of him gloating I commented that when his wife shouted at him "JUST DIE CUNT! DIE!!" I can see where she was coming from. The next day over breakfast, he was still gloating, I could still see where she was coming from.

No comments: