Monday 13 July 2009

Jersey Show Two

Wayne arranged for a later breakfast than the 9pm finish with the Hotel so we could have an extra hour in bed. Which was just as well because when the alarm went Phil and I responded to it with a creaking moan that you'd expect to hear if you were give a pensioner a hefty kick in the bollocks. Yeah, I could have used a different metaphor but I liked the sound (and the image) of this one.

We were the first down but were met with others from the cast some moments later. I had my usual full English, as did the others which was no surprise. In fact I think apart from the cereals, it was a choice of "Full English" or "FUCK ALL!" as the menu didn't really boast too much of a range. We didn't complain as I think that it was exactly what we were all pining for, I certainly was.

(next bit is a little about Jersey. If this interests you not, skip past)

The Hotel itself was run by a lovely woman that was originally from Northern England but lives in Florida. She is married to a Portuguese man who was the chef at the hotel. The island of Jersey has a wide mix of folk, I couldn't identify a dominant group from my observation but according to Wikipedia 40% are of British Mainland decent with the other 40% being Jersey born. The remaining 20% would be migrant workers from Portugal, Poland, Latvia, Australia etc. Like the Isle of Man, Jersey is not part of the UK but is a UK Crown Dependency which in layman's terms is they get all the good shit (Wealth, Wealthy folk and UK protection) but none of the crap (Jeremy Kyle, the people that frequent it up to Gordon Brown) It wasn't just me but several of us noticed that a lot of such migrants working in the service industry were lacking in proper manners verging on being down right rude. This behaviour regardless of the origin of the person really makes my blood boil. But on all instances much like the pussy I am, I said nothing and continued about my day under my self aware veil of cowardice.

Phil, Dan and myself took a walk into St Hellier to find a music shop as Phil needed a new tremolo arm for his guitar. After a reasonable amount of fucking around and being fucked around, we found it. A wee store by the name of Island Music (Jersey residents are called "Islanders") I took a look at some drum equipment and contemplated buying a new snare head and some sticks. It then came to me that I am a tight ass. I have enough sticks for a while and the snare head will last a lot longer before I need to change it. "Need" meaning when it breaks, but it sounds like shit at the moment. It can wait until I get home as I get discount at the shop in Swansea.

While at the Music shop, Clive called and said that he'd found a decent bike hire place as we'd arranged to go on a cycle today. His aim was to check Neolithic sites around the Island, I thought he was being his usual daft self. It was only when he produced print outs of maps and routes that I realised he was serious about cycling, busting several bollocks in the pursuit of looking at a load of rocks. So off we went.

The cycle route we took

Jim was on "full pelt" mode. Whenever the route was determined, Jim would pedal off like a man possessed into the distance. We'd eventually would catch him up at a junction sitting calmly with an air of satisfaction akin to the Hare in The Hair and the Tortoise story we were told at school. He'd ask, "which way now?"
"Right Jim, then when you get to a Church, bear lef.."
ZOOOOOOOM!!!!
"... okay then, see ya then Jim!"

I could have kept up with him but felt it unsociable as it was meant to be a group ride after all. So I stayed behind Clive for the most part, which was entertainment itself. Imagine a 6 ft 6 bloke, frizzy long hair flailing in the wind, sitting well too low on a bike so his knees were coming up above his waist puffing and panting away like the fat kid at school whenever he attempts the smallest amount of exercise. Before you chastise me for that comment, I WAS that kid at school!

After a while we got to the harbour just east of St Martin, a place called Gorey. There we had something to eat and a drink and like I mentioned earlier, were taken back by the stone like manner of the staff.

Clive figured we wouldn't bother looking one of his at his "Hippy Playgrounds" but then when looked, we realised we were very close to one. And being that on the Radio interview that morning he said he would be "spending the day cycling visiting Neolithic sites" he felt it his duty to do just that. Jim and I agreed.

We got to the site known as La Pouquelaye De Faldouet which is French for "A poor man's Stone Henge" and Clive was in his element. He taught us all about the origins and the lifestyle of the people of the time. You have to marvel at the feat of moving a 24 ton stone half a mile up hill with no machinery like we know today. We are talking about 4000 - 3250 BC here. Of course, Jim took this as an opportunity to talk about Jesus and his faith an almighty power. They woke me up to leave, I am guessing about 30 minutes later.




But piss taking aside, I loved every minute of it and was really glad Clive suggested the idea. I only wished we'd gone for longer. The only downside was the rain on the way back. Fortunately it wasn't bad enough for us to get totally soaked.

Phil had gone shopping while we were on our bike ride. He's very open about his lack of dress sense and says Jay (his misses) normally picks out his clothes being a woman and by default being way better at it. But in her absence I guess he's figured that adopting the costume style of a 60's Sci Fi series character would indeed up his social appeal.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I gave you exhibit A.

Hey Phil, William Shatner called, he wants his Captain Kirk boots back. I tried to get a decent photo of Kirk and his footwear but I couldn't, but you all know what I mean!

I had a shower and went for something to eat before show time.

The show was great and for a change it was really well sold, by far the best numbers we did all tour. And considering this was meant to be the last of the tour, it was a fitting way to go. That said, we have another two shows next week and another two, two weeks after. So the tour doesn't really end, just sort of trundles along for a few months with a show here and a show there until another tour starts around November time.

The supposed last show didn't pass without some controversy though. Just as the show was starting, Wayne took something the girls were talking about completely out of context and flipped Anna the bird and told her to, "fuck off" Literally, this was AS the show was starting. Anna started bawling and Nathan walked off quite pissed off and told him to "Have a good fucking show!!!" Katie then followed Wayne, who then himself walked off, and told him to "Loose the attitude!!!" It was quite tense. I feel he'll have the last laugh of all this, quite unjustifiably too!

After the show, we went back to the hotel and had a few stiff drinks before bed. Nathan and Clive tried to get me and Phil to go round his room and continue to get fucked up. Clive thought that pulling off my duvet would work, it didn't and so he left and by all accounts burned the midnight oil until about 4 am.

No comments: