Thursday 9 July 2009

Le Cirque Grande

Hello again my faithful flock!

Man, how self satisfying do I sound? Marks out of 10 please in the comments section 1 being "woe is me, I am shit" 10 being "I am Jesus Christ incarnate"

Route 66 "tour" is a funny term I have come to realise. It's now no more a tour than playing up the valleys' social club scene every Friday and Saturday (something I have done for yeaaaars) is a "tour" I'll have to bare that in mind:
Coming soon, THE ELECTRIX WINTER TOUR 2009/10
Friday 4th Dec - Bleangwynfi Social
Saturday 5th Dec - Merthyr Labour
Friday 11th Dec, Cwmfelin Social
Saturday 12 th Dec, Llandewibreffi Working Gay Men's club (private party)

Etc...

So, after a gig I find myself with two more days off. Again when days off far out weigh days ON it makes you wonder...

After Port Talbot show, Martin (who sometimes does R66 lights) was in the Grand Theatre this week with Le Cirque Grande and very kindly offered me some comps if I fancied seeing the show, I obliged!

I took my Mum and Dad, it would turn out to be the third show in a row this week, Cavern Beatles on Monday, Route 66 on Tuesday and now Le Cirque Grande on Wednesday, they've become a regular set of groupies!

After just getting back from my 3 hour bike ride which felt like Frodo's trek into Mordor, I return covered in mud and sweat and I had 10 mins to get ready to get to The Grand Theatre. I met Martin at the Foyer, got the tickets and proceeded into the bar for drink. Mum and Dad elected to sit in the stalls for 20 minutes. They were almost like the random folk that you'd see in a hospital waiting room, you know that vacant stare in expectancy of something traumatic? Well, they were displaying that!

Once the show got underway, with the quintessential Clown (a very good one at that!) it was curtains up and bam, the stage was alight with movement so frantic it was hard to decide what to look at. The thing that struck me most, was the lighting. Martin if you're reading this, the lights looked fucking awesome dude!

For the next two hours the show format went something like this:

Lots of crazy shit, demonstrations of feats of human strength and agility the like that would make your jaw drop..
Clown bit
More Crazy feats of strength, agility
Clown bit
Strength, agility
Bit more Clown
Lot more Strength, lots more agility
Interval - PUB!

















The second half was much the same. Overall, it was a very entertaining show. Visually excellent and like I said, you cannot help but marvel at the strength and grace of the performers. In the Circus of Horrors we have a few folk that have similar skills, but these gave 30 + with all similar if not much better acrobatic skills.

But the Circus Of Horrors is not really to be compared, it's much more a shock and roll (their words not mine) spectacle so there's no point in comparing. That said, I'd seriously come to see the Circus Of Horrors. If traditional Circus is your thing, then you'd love Ksusha Vesloski if nothing else, that Girl is incredible... and HOT too!!! (below - Ksusha Vesloski from The Circus Of Horrors)

















There's no band with Le Cirque Grande but the music was excellent. I was later to find out that the show is all on loops, who needs a band these days? The loops were so well synced that it does question whether the Circus Of Horrors needs a band and although with these modern programs, it's no way as Rock and Roll, so there's hope for us mere musicians still. But going back to Le Cirque Grand, I suggest you go and see it. It's better than sitting in the house, occasionally wanking to Hollyoaks and watching Eastenders if things have really hit a low!

Tomorrow we head off to Jersey for two shows. I think it's officially the end of the tour despite there being a few shows at the end of the month a the odd one or two in August. Being that Clive, Ian and I have to be at Weymouth Ferry Port for 8:00 for sail at 9:00, being that it;s 3 and half hours from Ian's house Wales and Ian's house is 45 minutes from mine. So in Yankee terms, "Do that Math!" (For fuck sake) That means, yes folks, I pretty much have to stay awake all fucking night! But hopefully I might get some kip in the car, but I doubt it.

See you in Jersey.

No comments: