Sunday 28 June 2009

Latvia part Deux

The bloody flight over to Latvia was horrid! I hate planes, I hate planes, I hate I hate I HATE!!! (stamps my feet like a child) I suppose by flight standards is wasn't anything out of the ordinary but anything other than a 100% smooth all the way with no surprise noises, bangs or shit such like, no extreme turns or change of pitch, altitude, speed, bank is a shit flight for me. Phil wasn't handling the take off well at all either. As he was worse than me I thought by helping him through it, it would somehow relieve my angst about the flight. Alas it didn't and what's more, 20 minutes into the flight Phil was fast asleep while I remained awake with sweaty hands, white knuckles and a bum hole "WOW"-ing like the mouth of an Goldfish after a training session.

I hoped the trolly dolly would come and relieve my nerves with an alcoholic beverage of my chosing. But they didn't turn up until 10 minutes before we made our decent, 2 hours later! And then we had to pay for it. And pay for it through the nose!!! Well, Phil did as it happens as I was skinty poohs! Thanks mate, I owe you one. And then to add insult to injury, the trolly dolly in question had a pop at a our "eeengleeeesh poooowndz" I couldn't help feel a little bit Alf Garnet:

"Listen up Vanya, Olga or whatever the fuck your name is, need I remind you that it was US that stopped YOU lot being over run by Germans? What's that, No? Right well that's just as well because it was the actually Russians and therefore my would be twatty retort falls down. I am sorry to have bothered you and yes you are quite right, us Breetessh are all assholes" Damn, why couldn't she have been French! So lacking something cutting to say, I remained quiet but mumbling to myself in Yosemite Sam (from Bugs Bunny Cartoons) type way.


I felt a lot happier once we were on terra firma but quickly reminded myself that I'd have to make the very same journey less than 24 hours later.

Once at the gig, I had a quick look at the kit and set it up to something that I'd feel comfortable playing. It was a DW kit that belonged to some famous Latvian band, hope the drummer didn't mind me fucking about with the tuning of it.
Jack the lighting guy had been there a day before us and had sorted so much stuff out it was amazing. He'd got us some stage props and a Harley Davidson Bike. We carry one around he theatres at home, but as this gig is very much, "to fuck away from home" we were conditioned to do the gig without it like we did in the Isle Of Man. Jack rocks! It would be awesome if he was on the tour with us. We had a quick soundcheck and headed straight for the food and drink that was laid on for us.
Some "light snacks" with Pheobe by passing all the chocolate and getting into the Salads!

There was a BeeGees tribute on before us so I went out front to watch, they were excellent. Shame there wasn't more people there to watch them. But this how I've come to know these festivals; No matter where and who for, if we're involved it's going to be like a Chernobyl.
That said, the humbling crowd that was there were very responsive and totally up for the party! Those crazeeeey Latvian Harley Davidson owners!

Then it was out turn. Thankfully a lot more turned up by the time we went on, but considering the size of the place it looked a little sparse, can't say I am not used to it.

Wayne buggered the running order of the songs and came out for Eagles medley too early. Due to this the next few songs were called on the spot until the set rectified itself. In spite of the momentary calamity, it didn't affect the show. He was very apologetic afterwards.

I had one or two issues myself. The $125 DW snare drum stand collapsed after second song. This meant the snare was now facing away from me and to hit it I had to bend my left arm over the top. As there were no gaps in between songs, I had no time to adjust. And when I did, the shite design that is that stand meant it was a bit of a ball-ache to do it and I had to take the snare drum off it completely before the dicking around with adjustment bolts etc. And this was in a gap of about 20 seconds. But I did it. To summarise my feelings on the DW brand, "Over priced shite!"

Apart from that the gig went really well and I played fine. But I didn't "dig" the ocassion like I should have. This was because the British & Irish Lions loss on South Africa, thus losing the series even of they win the third test. Everyone was up for a party after the gig, I simply wasn't and made myself scarse as to not bring the mood down of anyone else. I also had a headache that didn't go even after the painkillers and my ankle was still hurting from whatever it was that damaged it two days prior. Oh woe is me, I am such a poor dab!

I did get chatting to the other band. It turns out that we know all the same people. Zoe Xenofontos, John Haze, Kevin McCarthy, Tony Qunta are all mutual friends of ours. The guitarist is also really good mates with Ben Stone, the drum teacher at Percussion house in Swansea. To think to go all that way and meet people who know people you know, that know them, and you... Them! You get the idea. It's a small world init?

Once everything calmed down and we found ourselves at the hotel, Wayne got himself in another royal strop over some problem with the rooms. I'm not sure what it was but I think it was to do with not enough rooms being booked. But instead of just arranging with the promoters (who were with us at this point) for some alternate accommodation in a calm and collected manner, he elected to flap like fucking Swan in a dustbin. In doing so speaking quite rudely to the receptionist which was down right uncalled for; it wasn't his or even the hotel's fault not enough rooms were booked.

Nathan imitating Wayne flapping (background) about room fuck ups!

After a while it was sorted, Wayne, Laura, Katie and myself were to be given alternate rooms elsewhere but not far from the original hotel. I had a couple of drinks with Jarvis, Ian and Phil outside while transportation was on it's way.

Our transportation to the hotel with Wayne with a look like it's actually his dick!

When transportation did come, I decided as it was 4:00 am already, we were due to be awake at 8:00, I would go straight to bed and get what sleep I could. The others stayed and got even more wasted. I set an alarm for 8:15 and pretty much hit the hay without even a second to think about anything. This must be what sudden death is like.


No comments: